Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Great information - now this was a trip to remember.

I came across this web site before I left for my drive to southern Mexico; compared to the drive recounted on this site, mine was a trip to the corner store.   This has some pretty serious and detailed info - maybe more than you will ever need,  but -----    it is certainly an interesting, informative read.
I appreciate and thank the authors for the work & research that they put in to it!

When I was in my early 30's, a friend & I drove all the way down the Baja, before Route 1  was paved the way it is now.  We then took the car ferry over to the mainland to Puerto Vallarta, drove down the coast,  up into the mountains of Michoacan to Patzcuaro,  from there to Oaxaca & finally over to the Yucatan.  It was a trip of a lifetime - never enjoyed myself more.   Now, as a retired senior,  I don't think I would attempt a journey like that - we slept in a tent the whole time with 2 nights in hotels & about 6 weeks in a palapa (hut) on a beach just south of the Tulum ruins.  My back wouldn't be up to the task now.  I have flown back & driven a rental car to retrace portions of that trip several time,  but never the whole route at once.
 
I am delighted that the spirit of adventure & exploration still exists - not a lot of that left now.  Please do yourself a favor -  go outside & play !  

Here is that link I spoke about -    enjoy !

Overlanding

No comments:

Post a Comment